Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

Never should have gone on that game and Neville Southall knew exactly what he was doing when he slid into Reidy make no mistake.

I shouldn't have gone either but it was George Wood. I was running late due to the snow so missed our goal and just got into the Lever End to watch their jammy equaliser as the ball got stuck in the snow. Then Reidy got carted off and from memory the match was abandoned at half time so nobody got their money back - all in all my contender for the shittest match. I say match - I only saw 20 odd minutes of it and that was effing dire.

20 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

I shouldn't have gone either but it was George Wood. I was running late due to the snow so missed our goal and just got into the Lever End to watch their jammy equaliser as the ball got stuck in the snow. Then Reidy got carted off and from memory the match was abandoned at half time so nobody got their money back - all in all my contender for the shittest match. I say match - I only saw 20 odd minutes of it and that was effing dire.

A game I’ll remember for a few reasons. Standing in the Burnden terrace the floor was just ice and it was tricky staying on your feet. Got back to my car and the bastard wouldn’t start, then when I finally got home I found out one of my Aunts had shuffled off.

1 hour ago, Wanderlust said:

It was George Wood, the bastard!

That Everton game should never have taken place that day. It's all been said above. One thing that's not been is that when the re-scheduled game was played we won it 3-1.  Part of a really good run of results in early Spring that saw us safe. That whole Winter was horrendous. Even today when lists of snowbound winters get listed that one is always mentioned. Without checking to make sure I'd say we played only one or two games through the whole of January and February.

7 hours ago, Popeye doyle said:

A game I’ll remember for a few reasons. Standing in the Burnden terrace the floor was just ice and it was tricky staying on your feet. Got back to my car and the bastard wouldn’t start, then when I finally got home I found out one of my Aunts had shuffled off.

Aye I remember filing out and down the exit slope from Paddock to the concourse thinking if someone slips here there'll be carnage.

30k+ on that day as well, though the record books won't show it as it was a non game. So really lucky summat very serious didn't happen (apart from Reid's leg). It really was insanely dangerous.

3 hours ago, paulhanley said:

That Everton game should never have taken place that day. It's all been said above. One thing that's not been is that when the re-scheduled game was played we won it 3-1.  Part of a really good run of results in early Spring that saw us safe. That whole Winter was horrendous. Even today when lists of snowbound winters get listed that one is always mentioned. Without checking to make sure I'd say we played only one or two games through the whole of January and February.

It was the "Winter of discontent" when public workers were on strike; including gritters; and Maggie Thatcher won a landslide in a General Election the following May.

On transfers, but not related to us - WTF is happening at Oldham?

They're in the national league but have made some decent signings including James Norwood who scored 11 goals for Barnsley last season. Have they come into some money? They certainly seem to be setting their stall out for a return to L2.

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

On transfers, but not related to us - WTF is happening at Oldham?

They're in the national league but have made some decent signings including James Norwood who scored 11 goals for Barnsley last season. Have they come into some money? They certainly seem to be setting their stall out for a return to L2.

Massive signing for them that. Just asked my Oldham mate, and he has no idea how much Frank Rothwell is worth, or if there's been any external investment.

Oldham Council have invested £1M over the summer on their new pitch, which looks tidy as fuck for National League level.

F19i3CSXgAErmIq?format=webp&name=small

2 hours ago, Zico said:

Messi scored 5 in his first 3 games for Inter Miami 

Their all time top scorer is on 29 

As it happens it's Higuain 

So fair to say if Messi breaks his record he truly will be the world's greatest

Cc @Garrp

He’s already the World’s greatest. It was decided in Qatar, but deep down we all knew anyway.

13 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

I see Baccus is still at St. Mirren. Seems like wasted talent to be honest, it’s a better league than given credit for but you’d think he’d still want to further his career. Good player.

Who?

9 hours ago, Horwich said:

Do they still play thugby on it?

8 hours ago, Cheese said:

Rugby don’t move back in until next season but that’s why the council were happy to chuck in to sort the pitch. Remember it being an absolute cabbage patch when we played there in lockdown. 

On 03/08/2023 at 12:16, Wanderlust said:

59 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Rugby don’t move back in until next season but that’s why the council were happy to chuck in to sort the pitch. Remember it being an absolute cabbage patch when we played there in lockdown. 

My apologies Lusty it was George Wood the bar steward.