Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Covid-19

Spider

25 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

People are under massive strains in many other ways 

Now you put it like that I feel miles better. I'll have a word with whoever makes it into work tomorrow and tell them not to complain, because Radcliffe says people are under massive strains in other ways 👍😁

26 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Currently working at glasdons, 20 warehouse staff sent home yesterday along with 15 office. They do latty flows on arrival. 

Beginning to think leaving it to run ends with the same result as lockdown minus the funding :)

Yep, there's no money left for furlough, so there'll be no lockdown. The "entitled" will have to carry on working, like us self employed have had to.

10 hours ago, kent_white said:

Now you put it like that I feel miles better. I'll have a word with whoever makes it into work tomorrow and tell them not to complain, because Radcliffe says people are under massive strains in other ways 👍😁

The point I’m making is that covid isn’t just taking its toll on the NHS

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

The point I’m making is that covid isn’t just taking its toll on the NHS

Correct.

However, I think that those at the real sharp end who witness covid patients dying and struggling for life perhaps have a greater mental load on them. Purely human nature, and just like soldiers or firemen etc that witness similar horrors, are more likely to suffer from ptsd etc.

Few months ago, I chatted to an icu nurse who works at Chorley- she said few if any of her colleagues were suffering with such mental difficulties, whereas another I know of at Bolton has suffered personally, and for a good while wouldn't go out into society at large unless absolutely necessary. 

Folk manage differently, but no doubt some of them are running on fumes.

It isn't but the NHS is trying to save lives, day in, day out.

Yes, the entertainment industry has been decimated, with thousands struggling. Most don't care as they see it as a load of moaning foppish theps which illicit very little sympathy (despite people spending most of their free time watching them on TV) but in actuality its not just actors but the tech crews (a lot who are freelance) set builders, designers etc whose living is up in smoke. Scotland and Wales reaction to covid cost thousands to the industry. It was stupid.

So, I do get your point about other people suffering but I'm not having to deal with folk in ICUs, backlog of ops, not getting through the day to day needs of people. But again, I'm.earning more than I ever have, drowning in work and new clients. The pandemic has been a massive game changer for me, and at the moment for the better but I had that opportunity, nurses and NHS staff don't and they have to save lives rather than sell tickets.

They have my full sympathy, and understanding this isn't at the exclusion that others are having a hard time.

2 hours ago, gonzo said:

Beginning to think leaving it to run ends with the same result as lockdown minus the funding :)

That's exactly what it is, just spoken to my customer again who only had about half his workforce turn up yesterday. He's sent everybody home today for the rest of the week, as he has too many "critical" parts of his operation missing, so it's not worth anybody being there

8 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Lot of people seem to be going down with it for 2nd time at the mo.

I'm seeing loads getting it for the second time, I know one poor girl who is now on her 3rd lot.....she does work as a carer though, so I guess she's more exposed to it than most of us are

16 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Kids do get sick though and the vaccines do provide some protection. Not massive, but a help nonetheless.

For a small number of children, immediate post viral issues and longer term syndromes do occur. I have a niece who was quite badly affected in the early stages of the pandemic. Dizziness, breathing difficulties amongst other things. Strangely, these disappeared once she was vaccinated!

I'm not sure how much information is available specifically on infection rates amongst kids that are and are not vaccinated. Information for the whole shows a fairly strong benefit in terms of reduced infection of others. Study information will be out there for perusal.

Anything that helps reduce continuous infection of others, is worthwhile. Especially if it reduces time lost studying, or reduced risk of infecting grandma.

We are behind many other countries on vaccinating kids, and have taken time over it.

The mhra initially has to authorise the drug's use, and then the jcvi decide which groups etc. They only make a clinical decision though, and by their own admission do not consider educational requirements when making their decisions. 

Given the widespread vaccination of kids worldwide, I'm happy that it's of benefit to society.

Why not jab kids under 12?

10 minutes ago, L/H White said:

i've still not had it, worked theough the height of the first wave

been to any sporting event I can since we reopened

pubs the lot

built different us LH lot

anyone else still not had it

Not had it as yet

• Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, L/H White said:

pubs the lot

Not had it as yet, but I do drive through LH on my way to work and also get my dinner there sometimes so possibly picked up some of the good air. 

im actually one of those who’s convinced I had it Dec 19 before anyone really knew or tested for it but not had anything official as yet and I’m the same done everything allowed and worked all through 

10 minutes ago, fatolive said:

Not had it as yet, but I do drive through LH on my way to work and also get my dinner there sometimes so possibly picked up some of the good air. 

im actually one of those who’s convinced I had it Dec 19 before anyone really knew or tested for it but not had anything official as yet and I’m the same done everything allowed and worked all through 

Yeh, my Mrs was bad in Jan 2020 and she’s convinced it was Covid - before it all hit the fan, she also has it right now.

What i do find a disgrace is the fact that she’s frontline NHS and comes into close contact with dozens of folk on a daily basis, yet she won’t get paid one fucking penny for being off sick with Covid this week.

Love the NHS Boris? Yeh right - Cunt.

• Site Supporter
46 minutes ago, L/H White said:

pubs the lot

Don't think I've had it.