Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton v Blackpool

gonzo

1 minute ago, FrancisFogarty said:

Magoma ran the show today. Was everywhere and got stuck in. Great goal from Tommo.

Too much pissing about early on again for me but a great result at the end.

Good shout on Maghoma, he had a great game, especially first half when everyone else was a bit poor

Brilliant win that, yet another that you could file under ‘wouldn’t have won last year’.

They looked a decent team and I don’t think we were anywhere near our best, other than Santos I don’t think anyone had a great game. In parts, Sheehan and Maghoma did some nice stuff but I also thought they gave the ball away too much and didn’t really get a grip of midfield, I also thought GT looked off the pace and his touch was poor - then he goes and hits that bastard, well in lad!

Tough test, big crowd, not 100%, another clean sheet, a massive 3 points and 1 point off top of the league with a 5 game winning run!

Santos is currently as good as he’s ever been - if he stays fit all season and in this form then it will get us a long way towards promotion.

Looked in control for most of the game except the last 5 minutes, they didn't really do anything, our 5 shots to their 0 on target illustrates how it went. Thomason was an absolute behemoth in the midfield, his aggression was everything we need in these type of games. Then tops it off with a screamer to win the game.

On a side note, Bod has to start for me going forward, he changed the game when he came on and assisted the goal.

Felt like an old school Premier League/Championship Derby game today, with us finally coming on top in front of 24,000+ a fantastic day for all except those tangerines! 

Edited by Lostock Whites

• Site Supporter

Very good win against a decent team who drop back into shape quickly.

Dacres-Cogley was in acres loads of times but we never utilised him at all today.

Sheehan target for rough stuff but of course we pick up a few bookings for niggly stuff while they can foul all afternoon and get away with it.

Great goal by the Blackpool reject. Couldn't have connected any better.

JDB is miles better than Vic - and Charles come to think of it, he has a real football brain.

We're going up. Simples

14 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Very good win against a decent team who drop back into shape quickly.

Dacres-Cogley was in acres loads of times but we never utilised him at all today.

Sheehan target for rough stuff but of course we pick up a few bookings for niggly stuff while they can foul all afternoon and get away with it.

Great goal by the Blackpool reject. Couldn't have connected any better.

JDB is miles better than Vic - and Charles come to think of it, he has a real football brain.

We're going up. Simples

100% we're winning the "easy" games well and toughing our the "harder" games with wins too. There where times in our Barclaycard premiership years when we where a goal up against whoever and we knew we would never concede a late equaliser.  Felt like that today.  

All the team doing a great job. I'd like to see more JDB too. There has to be an element of £800k laid out on the two current starters and there is a willingness to start them solely for that reason. JDB has 50+ caps, played in teams that beat the mighty England. He's not a mug. And deserves more minutes. ....annnnnd as I waffle on . When he does get on he's Waving his arms around geein up the crowd.....he certainly wants to do well with us .

Thought we played tactically well today. Didn't go attacking too daft too early and controlled possession and worked our way in to the game. Great goal by George . Vic for such a big guy is too easily bullied off the ball and can't hold the ball up. He works hard but he needs to be much better with his back to goal.  Thought all three centre halfs were excellent today , toal in particular.

Onwards and upwards, COYWM.

Good win that.  They're a decent side who nullified our wide players and looked dangerous on the counter attack.  Fair play to their support too, who got behind them far better than other clubs who have brought so many over.  Our support got better as the teams performance did. Reckon we just about deserved that.

Great goal from the MotM too.

1 hour ago, Zico said:

I like watching him 

Gets hold of the ball and does well getting it up the field 

And looks good doing it

He looked different level to the rest for an hour or so, that ability to spin away, dribble and carry makes a big difference to the pace and threat of our play. Been a slow start for him with injuries but if he stays fit and puts 20 odd performances in like that he'll be a huge asset

Really disciplined performance today against a well organised team who contained one or two championship level players. Apart from the first coupe of minutes we looked solid throughout and grew in to the game especially second half, love how the team look like there starting to believe and can dig out a result even when we aren’t dominating a game. Fully deserved 3 points.

Very good win, the sort promotion teams pull out. Blackpool organised, physical, bit of the dark arts now and then, bit of threat on break. Defence, Rico in particular, did well to smother Rhodes and starve him of access to the ball near our goal.

JDB for Vic could have happened 10 mins sooner, was patently obvious it wasn't Vic's day. Neither him nor Charles could keep hold of the ball for 5 seconds, to be fair. Doesn't mean to say JDB should start over Vic, just that there are some games that cry out for what he offers. 

Maghoma was best on pitch for an hour, enjoyed watching him, spins, dribbles and carries all spicing up our play. 

Thomason took it by scruff of neck in that second half, was outstanding, great through ball to Charles and two beautiful crosses before his worldie. Some great graft after in protecting the lead.

Enjoyed that win and how it was achieved. Fair play to Blackpool support, great turnout and noisy backing 

Midfield seems a good balance , graft from George , running at the opposition Paris & pure direction / organisation from Sheehan.

All three played their part on a tough afternoon .

Thought Cogley was a bit off the pace maybe acting on instruction to hold the defensive line in case Jones got caught out up the park or more likely had an off day.

Agree Bod should be starting such an intelligent player.

3 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

JDB is a more naturally gifted player, and he has shown that he's great for 20 minutes after Vic has softened the defence up for him - but all the evidence suggests JDB can't handle a full 90 otherwise Evatt would start him - and Evatt knows his players.

I assume you're having a laugh?  If you mean lulled them into a false sense of security I'll agree.

Vic very poor, JDB very good is how I see it, whether he starts games like in the cup last week or comes on like the last 2 league games.  And nobody has to handle a full 90, not one striker ever does.

10 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Midfield seems a good balance , graft from George , running at the opposition Paris & pure direction / organisation from Sheehan.

All three played their part on a tough afternoon .

Thought Cogley was a bit off the pace maybe acting on instruction to hold the defensive line in case Jones got caught out up the park or more likely had an off day.

Agree Bod should be starting such an intelligent player

Agree about the midfield there, a real good interesting balance, all 3 completely different players, and also Morley, Maghoma and Dempsey could be like for likes.

Sheehan-Morley, Maghoma- Gomes, Thomason- Dempsey.

Very enjoyable game today, well played for the most part.  Best I've seen from Tomo, certainly his 2nd half.  Sheehan again a class above on the ball, he's really improved this season to be 1st pick midfielder by a mile.  Maghoma great in patches.  JDB the game changer, we weren't winning that till he came on.

Santos imperious as usual.  Is it me or has he deliberately stopped with the 30 yard diagonals, its all pass to feet now, is this tactical from IE or has he changed his game?

Blackpool had plenty of possession and their right winger had the beating of Williams but I can't recall an easier game for Baxter unless I've forgotten a save or 2?

Dacres Cogley another mediocre performance, safety first at every opportunity and no spark.    

Credit to Blackpool fans for the atmosphere they created, it was strangely subdued in our end till the 2nd half.