Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Them Wigan C **nts.

Burndens Bogs

23 minutes ago, Rubberkex said:

I, like the majority of us am coming up on Saturday just happy to have a team to follow after the shysters that owned us buggered off. It will be difficult ofcourse but I'm thinking any pressure going could be on you as favourites...we have loads of young lads who look quite good and try to play the right way. Its a big test no doubt but so was Derby so not insurmountable.  The league itself looks winnable for someone like yourselves who can string a run together but there lies the danger of games where expectations run too far ahead. Take Northampton last Saturday who we down here all thought would be banjo'd sharpish but in reality played very well and were tricky.

I'll skip all the good luck bollocks for the rest of the season but would expect you to take one of the top 2 slots and hope we can make the playoffs.  Injuries and squad depth may play a part in any of this so who knows.

Si thi Setdy. 

Hi Rubbertex, I think Saturday will be a reality test for you to see whether your opening wins have been genuine or otherwise. I don’t think we could be playing any better or be in better form so if you do get anything then it will be well deserved. Either way with a big crowd in both teams will be expected to perform. I see your attack as quality but elsewhere I suspect you’re fairly weak and that could be your downfall this year. That said your young guns have done well so far so if they can keep that going who knows where you can finish?

15 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Hi Rubbertex, I think Saturday will be a reality test for you to see whether your opening wins have been genuine or otherwise. I don’t think we could be playing any better or be in better form so if you do get anything then it will be well deserved. Either way with a big crowd in both teams will be expected to perform. I see your attack as quality but elsewhere I suspect you’re fairly weak and that could be your downfall this year. That said your young guns have done well so far so if they can keep that going who knows where you can finish?

I kind of disagree...im happy defensively with good lads there. Our weakness lies in midfield where although we have ball players for the 1st time in ages have no shithouse.  This young Smith from Arsenal is a lovely player but i fear a good kick up the arris early doors might curtail his afternoon. 

• Site Supporter
44 minutes ago, Rubberkex said:

I, like the majority of us am coming up on Saturday just happy to have a team to follow after the shysters that owned us buggered off. It will be difficult ofcourse but I'm thinking any pressure going could be on you as favourites...we have loads of young lads who look quite good and try to play the right way. Its a big test no doubt but so was Derby so not insurmountable.  The league itself looks winnable for someone like yourselves who can string a run together but there lies the danger of games where expectations run too far ahead. Take Northampton last Saturday who we down here all thought would be banjo'd sharpish but in reality played very well and were tricky.

I'll skip all the good luck bollocks for the rest of the season but would expect you to take one of the top 2 slots and hope we can make the playoffs.  Injuries and squad depth may play a part in any of this so who knows.

Si thi Setdy. 

Is it true that the toilet cubicles in the home changing rooms at Wigan have each had a glory hole installed with a picture of James MacCleans face painted around it?

Or was that a scurrilous lie and it’s Dave Whelan’s mug? I bet it is. Filthy beggars.

39 minutes ago, Rubberkex said:

I kind of disagree...im happy defensively with good lads there. Our weakness lies in midfield where although we have ball players for the 1st time in ages have no shithouse.  This young Smith from Arsenal is a lovely player but i fear a good kick up the arris early doors might curtail his afternoon. 

That lad Smith was lucky to not get a crack last week, arrogant little fucker thinking he could strut about mixing it up

48 minutes ago, Rubberkex said:

Welcome back Rubber.

I think the thing we have is that we are solid all over. Last year we let ourselves down by not finishing off teams lower in the league, hope Cheltenham is a sign we are getting over that.

The other area was our record against the others in top six. So yet to see that tested. So far our midfield and wing backs have been a real  'engine room' with decent strength in depth. 

Hopefully we find out a bit more with positive results this week. Should be a tasty atmosphere with people staying just the right side of the line. 

10 minutes ago, Ani said:

Welcome back Rubber.

I think the thing we have is that we are solid all over. Last year we let ourselves down by not finishing off teams lower in the league, hope Cheltenham is a sign we are getting over that.

The other area was our record against the others in top six. So yet to see that tested. So far our midfield and wing backs have been a real  'engine room' with decent strength in depth. 

Hopefully we find out a bit more with positive results this week. Should be a tasty atmosphere with people staying just the right side of the line. 

Hello lad...actually I'm trying not to look past tonight first...I know nowt about Carlisle or how good they are but don't think they'll roll over so could be dangerous to underestimate.  Dont think Fleetwood should offer much resistance but you just never know.

• Site Supporter

From LaticsSpeyk

The 109-page thread on wanderersways.com entitled 'Them Wigan C**nts' is always filled with Horwichonians insisting how little they care about Wigan while simultaneously agonising over every detail of our results and transfers so far this season. Worth a read ahead of Saturday for anyone looking for their weekly comedy fix.

The amount who think they're still United's arch rivals when most Man U fans couldn't point to Bolton on a map is a particular highlight...

20 minutes ago, MickyD said:

From LaticsSpeyk

Hes got a point tbf.

Folk can deny it all they want, hate or dislike who you want.

This is a proper derby for anyone under 40, Wigan is all most will have known.

Its not the 1970s anymore folks.

10 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

If we're still playing these in 20 years time, it'll never come close to Blackburn, Burnley or Preston for me.

I accept them 3 probably don't register with our young pups

Neither of them 3 will register with any old pups either. Or them.

Theyve all got their own rivals.

36 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Hes got a point tbf.

Folk can deny it all they want, hate or dislike who you want.

This is a proper derby for anyone under 40, Wigan is all most will have known.

Its not the 1970s anymore folks.

First time I’ve been glad to miss that age bracket😂

I’m 32 - I grew up hating United and saw them as our main rivals whilst we were in and around the same league. I still look out for their result and hope they lose to whoever they’re playing but I don’t class them as rivals anymore as they’re in a different stratosphere of football to us and have been for over a decade.

Blackburn were a close second, mainly due to us being of a very similar level up until I was about 25 and because our school had loads of Blackburn fans so there was a tangible rivalry and impact of how results went. I can’t say I’m too arsed about them anymore but that would probably change if / when we’re back in the same league as them and taking 5-6 thousand over to Ewood for a couple of years.

Wigan never registered when I was younger, mainly because I can only really think of 1 Wigan fan that I knew growing up and I think I’m right in saying we only started playing each other once I was in my early-mid teens (about 04-05ish?) by which point I’d already had years of being surrounded by United and Blackburn fans. Now though, I’d say they are our main rivals - we’ve tracked each other through the leagues for 15 years or so, we’re next door to them, we both take big followings to each other and there’s always a bit of needle on and off the pitch. The strange thing is that I still don’t personally know any Wigan fans, so losing doesn’t have the same impact that it used to do with United and Blackburn back in the day where you’d have the piss taken out of you for the next week, but it’s still the game that I most want to win this year and still the first result after ours that I’ll check - hoping that they’ve lost.

If we get back into the higher leagues and spend more time around the Blackburn and United then I’m sure that rivalry would come back (maybe less so with United as I’m sure their newer generation of fans would say exactly the same thing as our older fans say about Wigan), but for now the idea of those twats celebrating in our away end again is not a good thought and I’d take any kind of win.

20 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

If we're still playing these in 20 years time, it'll never come close to Blackburn, Burnley or Preston for me.

I accept them 3 probably don't register with our young pups

For me its always been Rovers. Wigan barely register. Little club come from non league, never really had a significant fan base, never really will. Just happen to be in the same league this season. Do Blackburn see Accrington as rivals. Definately not.

I'm 27, since watching us in the early 2000s we've always had great games against Blackburn. We're very similar sized and both spent nearly identical the time in the top flight

But in the past 10 years or so, whether we see Wigan as an annoying kid who won't leave us alone, they have been out biggest rival in my opinion.

United, Blackburn, Burnley, Blackpool, Bury always had a nasty big Derby feel to them, less so for PNE. But for good or bad Wigan has surpassed them. They genuinely hate us and we are their biggest game without a doubt, which for our other rivals is not necessarily the case, they all have their own bigger derbies.

Why this need to hate anybody ?... support your club yes, spend ridiculous amounts following a dream yes, kick the fucking dog when you lose yes, but why does hate come into anything that just doesn't matter...

I reserve my hatred for things that deserve it ...everytime I drive near Derian House my blood runs cold with the sadness that fills that place and that disease that makes it necessary...now I hate that bastard with a passion and it cares little for what colour football shirt you buy.