Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley away 2nd leg

HomerJay

For this game I can't see any reason why Morley should be starting over MJ

Morley has been very poor for the past few games now. We've seen how physical Barnsley are, their entire game plan is focused on the ball being in the air and reacting to the 2nd balls

Our midfield was absent yesterday.We need MJ in there for solidity.

Also would get Lee in for Sheehan, John for Williams and Nlundulu for Kachunga. More experience and physicality. 

Edited by Lostock Whites

1 hour ago, QFPants said:

I think Randell Williams is absolutely gash, but with the size of their team (set pieces, long throws etc) I think he gets the nod based on height as much as anything else

Neither are particularly good in the air but I’d say John is better at using his body to put the attacker off, particularly when targeted with long diagonals.

There’s clearly a reason Evatt prefers Williams but I’d guess it’s more based on overall attitude rather than ability because we’ve all seen enough of him to know that DJ is a better player (and I’m far from saying he’s the left sided equivalent of Bradley).

Anyway, it will be what it will be - I’d just be much happier to see John’s name on the team sheet come 6.45pm on Friday.

19 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

Morley has been very poor for the past few games now. We've seen how physical Barnsley are, their entire game plan is focused on the ball being in the air and reacting to the 2nd balls

Also would get Lee in for Sheehan, John for Williams and Nlundulu for Kachunga. More experience and physicality. 

I always think it feels a bit negative for us to start with MJ. Starting with Lee (as we did at Sheff Weds IIRC?) would be quite a statement of intent, I reckon. 

2 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I always think it feels a bit negative for us to start with MJ. Starting with Lee (as we did at Sheff Weds IIRC?) would be quite a statement of intent, I reckon. 

Agreed. Lets not worry about them. As Radcliffe says, they cant keep that high press shithouse bollocks up for another 90 mins.

Id deffo be having Lee in there. 

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Morley's an odd one

He was poor on Saturday and I'm concerned Barnsley might've found a way to nullify him (as MK Dons did last season) 

But it's difficult to argue he hasn't got enough credit in the bank to start him again on Friday

He nullified himself by continuously passing to Barnsley players! Just wasn't at the races. Hopefully just nerves, and he'll have a different game Friday.

I didn't see the Bristol Rovers game I'm just going off the past fair few home matches and he's been poor.

He was the reason Accy scored their goal against us, when he passed it straight to them.

He's our supposedly best technical passer of the ball, so I think it's more than fair to criticise his poor passing recently.

With that in mind, he also doesn't throw himself around much in midfield, so he ghosts a lot in games just like Sheehan.

I'm a much bigger fan of Dempsey any day, I know our midfield has different attributes but Dempsey is the type of player you need in that midfield, never stops and is a shithouse.

I think MJ is capable of distributing the ball as good as Morley can. But Morley does have that odd wonder goal in him.

Edited by Lostock Whites

Michael Duff ain't stupid - he's a good manager with a tactical brain. It was pretty obvious from the off on the first leg he's identified Bradley as a threat and had his boys put something on him from the off. His midfield 3 pressed high and hard because he knew Evatt likes a possession game and to pass it around the back so Duff wasn't going to allow that and he stopped it for most of the game forcing us to punt it long straight down the throats of their waiting defence.

Whichever way Evatt goes, it should not be based on playing their game their way i.e. trying to match their athleticism or focusing on nullifying their threats because if we do we'll lose.

We've got to where we are by playing Evattball - despite not quite having the quality that requires IMO - and we should stick to our guns, rather than worry about them.

If I'd change anything, it would be to play the now fit again JDB alongside Charles up front because we'll never outmuscle Anderson et al at the back but we might be able to do them with quality. And whilst JDB doesn't have the running power and physicality of e.g. Dan or Victor, he does have the skill to hold the ball up and an excellent first touch whereas Dan has the touch of a rapist - and JDB knows where the goal is when he gets half a chance.

We've had an excellent season trying to play like a proper pass and move team and if that's what we are we should be playing our game not theirs. Lets start with the ballers and when they come at us as we know they will, move it quickly through their lines - one touch max - and put the fear of God in them.

It's what we do when we are at our best and we should focus being good at being ourselves - not overly worrying about them.

12 hours ago, Lostock Whites said:

I can give you plenty of reasons why Morley should be starting. The idea of leaving your best player out in arguably the most important game of the season is mental. Our midfield wasn't absent at all. They just have a good midfield too. It was pretty even overall. 

Have you seen some of the goals morley has scored this season . We are going to need his quality. 

This week is going to be grim.

I think it's already been said but whoever scores first on Friday will get to Wembley.

They lost 12 games this season and conceded first in each of those. Add to that, they only scored 3 goals in those 12 defeats. They've won just 2 points in the league after conceding first.

On the flip side, they scored first in 29 games this season, going on to win 26 of them. So it shows picking up a draw on Saturday was by no means a bad result.

• Moderators

Don't know much about duff so had a look at wiki 

Only played for two clubs 

As low as southern premier League (national League South) and then all the way up to the premier League

14 hours ago, Lostock Whites said:

MJ isn't as big/strong as Barnsley's midfield, and he isn't as good as them either. Morley might be smaller, but when playing well he's better than anything Barnsley have. And that's even discounting his ability to produce the odd matchwinner from outside the area.

I'd rather lose playing our best players and playing the way that got us here, than getting in our own heads and hoping we'll suddenly find answers from the bench.

No point trying to be a shit Barnsley.

Edited by Tombwfc

37 minutes ago, Zico said:

Don't know much about duff so had a look at wiki 

Only played for two clubs 

As low as southern premier League (national League South) and then all the way up to the premier League

He's been around, knows the game and has picked up some astute signings. It will be an interesting tactical battle with Evatt but we have to play our game and play it well. Morley's radar was off on Saturday largely because Duff made sure he had no time on the ball so we've got to stick with what we do at our best and impose it early on. That said, Duff will know that and will try to impose their game on us. Simple really - whoever plays their own game best will win.

If they force us into hoofing it again we're fooked.

Edited by Wanderlust